Wednesday, July 08, 2009

In which I am amazed by my kids' random knowledge

We keep having game night with Goretti and Darrin (and Salma) on Saturday nights. The game of late is Cranium and the kids have been hounding us to let them play it with us. But I'm SO not up for sitting through that much fun. Remember Sorry? I still do.

So because playing games with the kids is so much fun we decided to get Alex a copy of Trivial Pursuit Junior for his birthday present. We went to Wal-Mart the weekend before the big day and searched for it.

Nope.

So we went to Shopko. Nope, again.

Since that sufficiently exhausted our choice of stores around here that might have it, I turned to Amazon.com. I found an edition for 10 bucks that is not the most current but still current enough to be fun. And the price was way the heck better than the newest edition.

It finally came on Monday so Tuesday we busted it out and played. Annie and Ashley got to team up with me and Aiden since we thought NO WAY would they be able to answer enough questions are their own to make it fair.

The game is for ages 8 and up and is for 4 players. Alex's friend Brady was over so he was the fourth spot.

Some of the questions are ridiculously hard for a kids' game but we figure it's so someone else gets a turn. Some of them, though, are so easy it's almost embarrassing.

Brady doesn't get a lot of exposure to things so it was harder for him to know a lot of the answers. And that was understandable. Although he did know what sport begins with "En Garde".

But Alex knows that Medusa has snakes instead of hair. Ashley knows the national bird is the bald eagle. And Annie knows so much stuff she actually got all of her pie wedges first only to lose by not being able to get back to the middle quick enough for her final question. (We think that's karma since she is kind of a snotty winner)
Because it's midnight, I cannot think of the other stuff the kids knew that was so amazing. But it was a lot. Lyrics to songs, things about games, random history and mythology questions, all were answered without a ton of parental help.

Sometimes we turned the questions into multiple choice stuff to help them out, but really, my kids are so smart!

Okay, I just realized I crossed the line into braggy. That's not cool. Mostly I just wanted to record how impressed I am with their vast knowledge of trivial stuff.

We are SO turning them into mini versions of us.

Maybe one of us WILL make it on Jeopardy some day.

1 comment:

  1. Kids are funny that way..the amount of information they absorb. My 3 (almost 4 year old) turned to me last night and told me he wanted to Rhyme. What?!? Where do they pick these things up!?

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog! We love meeting new people! You are always welcome, as I will be back to visit you again!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!