Friday, August 01, 2008

What am I going to do?

Brandon's aunt always wanted kids. She couldn't get pregnant so she and her husband put there names out to adopt. They stayed on the waiting list for a long long long time. While I was pregnant with Alex they got a baby, finally! (As a side note, I do know it was shallow and cheap of me to begrudge her getting her baby "all the sudden" with no swollen ankles and vomiting and stuff... I know it was a longer than nine months wait but I was seven months preggo, threw up at least once every day, usually more like two or three times, and I was jealous that her baby just came with a phone call and a car ride. UGH!)

Anyway, adoption is expensive and they were old by the time they got Sarah so they couldn't adopt any more babies. Their answer to not having an only child is to take a lot of kids into their lives and max out their play dates and sleepovers.

As part of that plan they want to take a cousin a summer for a week. This year it's Annie's turn. She's supposed to go to their house in Tri-Cities for Vacation Bible School. It means she will be at their house from Sunday afternoon until Friday afternoon. I don't know if I can handle this. I don't know if she can handle it. She's only ever had one sleepover before and it was at another cousin's house where she'd been all that day. She's convinced she can handle it and I know Michelle can handle her since she teaches elementary school (until a couple years ago she taught a mixed K/1 class for like 20 years. This age is not new to her!).

I was unable to successfully sleep at anyone else's house until I was like 13 or something. Seriously. She is so much like I was and I don't know how this is going to go. I keep trying to convince her to say home and she keeps telling me she's big and can do it and will be fine.

The same time Annie's going to Aunt Michelle's house, Alex is going to Grandma and Grandpa Smith's house. He's excited, especially since there's two cousins staying there that he doesn't see much at all. I know he'll be fine but then I have issues with being away from my baby for so long. WHY are they all going away at the same time!?! I will have Ashley here to keep us company. She's going to be attentioned out. She's going to be SO HAPPY to get her brother and sister back so she can get two minutes to herself. It's going to be a complete role reversal in that we won't be telling her to go away for a minute of peace and quiet, we're going to chase her down and soak up kid juice. awww....

I don't know if I can handle this....

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you guys have been taking a lot of trips to keep you from being too bored. I don't feel like I've barely seen you! Although I have been taking up time in the apt by myself!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!