Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Roll over and show me your belly

I am changing my major. I feel like a big loser but I also feel incredibly calm, peaceful, and sure.

I am currently a Zoology major hoping to get into dental school before I die. Before I do that I have to pass certain classes. Like Organic Chemistry. This would not be hard if I went to class but I just don't. I did but then I got done with the first test and skipped basically ALL of the second half of the class lectures.

It used to be that thinking of how great being a dentist would be was enough to make me go to classes I hated (like calculus). This semester it has lost its power. All I can see anymore is how much I am missing.

I have always wanted to be a mom. Ideally I would be a stay at home mom and love cleaning house and having only my kids to talk to. Turns out, I'm not built to enjoy that. But I also don't want to miss them growing up. I don't want to be gone more and more until they are finally grown and then realize I missed all of it.

Growing up I wanted to be a teacher. I have great memories of school. So I have decided that rather than miss all that I would miss I am going to change majors in my senior year and become a teacher. It will add time, obviously, but I don't think it will be that much more and I know I will be done sooner and have more time with my family.

I'm going to change my major to Human Developement P-3 which will allow me to teach anything from preschool to third grade. Those are the only ages I'd like to deal with anyway. I'm waiting to hear back from an advisor in that department to know for sure what I'm going to do but that is the plan as of right now.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I thought you were gung-ho about dentistry. Congrats on the major decision to change to something that will give you more time with your family!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!