Friday, March 27, 2009

A Professional Whiner at Work

Last night as I was preparing to pass out in bed (10:00) Alex came out of his room for the nine-billionth (or third) time. He is the master at coming up with reasons to get out of bed. He does not just ask for a drink of water or some other minor league item. No, he has reasons that are beyond the realm of conceivable by most people.

Why was he up again? Because last Halloween while we were trick-or-treating I took a piece of gum from his treat bag. He threw a righteous fit about it so I told him I would give him another piece to replace it. I thought I had but last night he informed me that I had not.


There was crying about the injustices and when we told him this was NOT something he gets to be out of bed for, he went on and on (this boy can really get worked up) about how no one understands his brain and how his mind works. (really, I would say I don't know where he gets it from but I do. It's in my genes. My sister does the same kind of thing. Never was it me, just her. But I guess he got it from that gene pool. Or maybe it's from his dad. He argues like that all the time. hmmm)

Anyway, the argument wore thin and he was seeing his loss in sight. So he reminded me that the girls had some M&Ms left over from a science project with their lunch the day before. And we never gave any to him to make it fair.
I talked to him about prioritizing. How the gum was not going to be worked out right that minute (or ever, I eventually told him) and the M&Ms would not be doled out at 10:00 at night. Then we talked about how he's been in his bed for three hours, more or less, and he was missing all that sleep over a 5 month old piece of gum and 2 M&Ms.

He was still sure it was child abuse in some form but he did go back to bed. The weeping and wailing stopped eventually and he went to sleep.
*****

What's the dumbest thing you've had fits about in your house?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Oh, poor Alex. He's had to learn some pretty big-boy lessons this week. He'll be a stronger more stable 4th grader for it all though!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!